[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Eddie's obviously singing on the next Temptations 45 tracks; especially on "You're The Exception To The Rule" & [[most probably too) on "It's Summer".
    In his book, Otis wrote that this single was recorded after Eddie and before Ricky, with just himself, Dennis, Melvin, and Paul.

But in the more detailed notes of THE COMPLETE MOTOWN SINGLES: VOL. 11A - 1971, it is written that IT'S SUMMER was Dennis, Otis, Melvin, and Richard. It was recorded in May of 1971.

The notes also speculate that I"M THE EXCEPTION... might have been Eddie's final session with the group.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In his book, Otis wrote that this single was recorded after Eddie and before Ricky, with just himself, Dennis, Melvin, and Paul.

But in the more detailed notes of THE COMPLETE MOTOWN SINGLES: VOL. 11A - 1971, it is written that IT'S SUMMER was Dennis, Otis, Melvin, and Richard. It was recorded in May of 1971.

The notes also speculate that I"M THE EXCEPTION... might have been Eddie's final session with the group.
    Interesting... so was Paul in and out of the group during this time and Richard was filling in?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

They recorded "It's Summer" twice, eh?

I quite like parts of the arrangement of the later version, especially in stereo, but the song itself isn't really strong enough as an a-side IMO, and its poor sales reflected this. Also, to my ears, the stereo album mix smokes the mono single mix, and I don't often say that about Motown!

The original is a far better version IMO but, again, it isn't smash hit material.

I suspect that it was recruiting Damon Harris and recording "Superstar" and "Take A Look Around" that rescued them. They're both far better as singles.