[REMOVE ADS]

Martha, Lois and Sandra Dancing in the Street 1971-72

I posted this before thought it was removed from YouTube

Rather frantic pace.......the original tempo was much better.

I will say that Sandy and Lois had a good sound together and made great Vandellas visually. Their sound wasn't too drastic of a departure from the previous Vandellas they replaced.

wonder where there is & what it was for. I bet they were worn out after this one song.I'll have to ask Martha about it.

You still get the essence of Roz with Sandy’s voice but in her own way
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I will say that Sandy and Lois had a good sound together and made great Vandellas visually. Their sound wasn't too drastic of a departure from the previous Vandellas they replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Rather frantic pace.......the original tempo was much better.
    its better than many live Motown hit performances....seems it took over 40 years for many Motown classic performers to slow it down to a more familiar pace ....I never liked the all too common brassy loud/ racetrack live performances of Motown hits....the only one I've ever heard that benefits from a speedier arrangement is DRATS In and Out Of Love...

For some reason, "Dancing In The Street" was sped up to a crazy frantic speed going all the way back to 1968. I'm unsure if Cholly choreographed this, but Sandy and Lois are all over the place on this. This is an instance where less is more.

Back in the 60's, many Motown / soul acts performed 'speeded up' versions of their songs on live shows. I once got the chance to ask a soul singer why this was & he stated that it raised the energy level of a performance, so went down well with live club audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    the only one I've ever heard that benefits from a speedier arrangement is DRATS In and Out Of Love
    Possibly cos it's over and gone, a bit quicker ?? LOL. Never liked this track all that much, too lightweight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    For some reason, "Dancing In The Street" was sped up to a crazy frantic speed going all the way back to 1968. I'm unsure if Cholly choreographed this, but Sandy and Lois are all over the place on this. This is an instance where less is more.
    Probably because they're doing the same choreography for the song that Roz and Betty did for it since 1966 lol and back then the song was probably a bit slower of a pace.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Probably because they're doing the same choreography for the song that Roz and Betty did for it since 1966 lol and back then the song was probably a bit slower of a pace.
    I believe their choreography was different. Roz and Betty's was much simpler and not too much movement. Because Sandy and Lois were better dancers, I'm pretty sure they updated most of the Vandellas choreography. If you watch the Soul Train clip, the "Dancing In The Street" choreography was different from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Starguard4 View Post
    Possibly cos it's over and gone, a bit quicker ?? LOL. Never liked this track all that much, too lightweight for me.
    Have you heard the Talk of The Town LP version? I am not a big fan of the studio track, but Diana Ross does a great job here....

What show was this from? Where there any other songs performed on the show?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy1968 View Post
    What show was this from? Where there any other songs performed on the show?
    Soul train. They also performed Bless You and Love Makes Me Do Foolish things:

Ooops--wrong show sorry about that. Still odd that in early 70s Martha and the Vandellas are on TV often performing songs from the mid 60s like Dancing in the Streets. At least they go to do Bless You on Soul Train.