Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
I may get thrown under the bus for going out on a limb... But what if Valerie is telling the truth? What if a third female singer was brought in to be coached by Valerie to approximate some of Tammi's sounds? The woman I'm thinking of is known as a belter, and later recorded a somewhat acclaimed album for Motown in that forceful style. But when I listen to one of the vaulted duets she recorded with Chuck Jackson, there are a few [and I mean very few] moments where she sings soft and low. I say to myself when I hear those sparse notes that this woman, kept restrained, could pull a Tammi Terrell. And if she was told to thrown in a southern twang in certain parts [Yvonne was born in Virginia] might do it rather well.
I'm talking about Yvonne Fair. Listen to her extended 'ooh' at 0:08 and the first words until 0:14 of "It Must Be Love Baby" and again at 0:36-38, female ad-libs trailing Chuck 0:50 & 0:52, unison with Chuck 1:26-1:34, at 1:50, the word 'it's at 2:32. Does anyone hear what I'm hearing there?
It's funny you write this, just last week I was listening to the Rita Wright set again and there were a couple of songs that made me wonder if it could have been RW singing on some songs instead of Tammi.