[REMOVE ADS]

My Heart Can't Take It No More Question

DFTMC lists two versions of "My Heart Can't Take It No More", completed on the same day. The version I have on my laptop is from the boxset, which is the single version. The other version is on the stereo version of the CWP album. I do have that album, but I have it on cassette and I don't think I have many of my Supremes cassettes with me at the moment. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone hears a difference in the two versions. It could be that I've been listening to the boxset version all these years and forgotten what the cassette version sounds like.

I also wonder if the version that appears on the stereo CWP is a vocal re-record from late 64 like all the other cuts [[which have 1963 alternate vocals) and erroneously dated as the same date as the single's recording date.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    DFTMC lists two versions of "My Heart Can't Take It No More", completed on the same day. The version I have on my laptop is from the boxset, which is the single version. The other version is on the stereo version of the CWP album. I do have that album, but I have it on cassette and I don't think I have many of my Supremes cassettes with me at the moment. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone hears a difference in the two versions. It could be that I've been listening to the boxset version all these years and forgotten what the cassette version sounds like.

I also wonder if the version that appears on the stereo CWP is a vocal re-record from late 64 like all the other cuts [[which have 1963 alternate vocals) and erroneously dated as the same date as the single's recording date.
    i happened to just run across this and so will share!

in another of the recent threads someone brought up the wonderful George post from several years ago outlining all of the problems and struggles with getting the 70s GHARC set issued along with details on all of the mixes, alt versions, etc.

anyway i was looking through various old posts trying to find it and i came across some posts from the Let Yourself Go release and George was sharing there too. he was talking about the master tapes and i asked what that really meant. I hope i explain this right but it's basically the complete recording of ALL tracks with ALL material intact, before they mix it and make all of their adjustments. One example is Walking and when the girls performed on Soul Train - in that version, more of Susaye's ad libs were present versus the actual released version. so Susaye would have had her lead/ad libs on a separate track in the master and then, from the master, they would have mixed things in and out, added echo, etc.

So we were all talking about the LYG set and someone brought up Sam Cooke as part of the discussion. George mentioned that nearly every track, except Good News, has an alternate lead. And the same with CW&P which would explain the alt versions that were issued on the Unreleased 63 cd. I think there were 5 songs so far that we've received alt to but My Heart is not one of them.

Yes, all of CWP was originally recorded in 1963. The album that was eventually released had all re-recorded vocals in late 64. I just wasn't sure if "My Heart" did or not.

in the booklet for L&F, there are a couple version of You're Gonna Come To Me. although one version was incorrectly included on WDOLG as Version 3, that was actually the 4th Version. the real Version 3 is apparently much slower with a different organ playing and they said it would have been a good fit on CW&P. although i don't know that anyone claims V3 was actually recorded for that album. looks like all of the versions are produced by Berry and Clarence did the production on CW&P