[REMOVE ADS]

Photograph of mike valvano.

Is there a photo of Mike with the Modifiers or as Mike Varo as I want to put together a CD for my collection. I`d be very grateful if somebody could help.

One of Mike's Detroit classics, leaving aside all of Mike's Motown records, no photo's for Mike so far.

One of Mike Valvano's his own https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/mic...lvano/credits/
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-05-2024 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Is there a photo of Mike with the Modifiers or as Mike Varo as I want to put together a CD for my collection. I`d be very grateful if somebody could help.
    There's a nice photo on the front of the "Blue Eyed Soul" CD [[and Leeza Miller, P.J. and The Lewis Sisters) which might be worth looking out for - oh and not forgetting the tracks recorded by Mike with and without "The Modifiers" for Motorcity.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...g3LJem-2gJTt1w

Many thanks Graham, I didn`t realise he worked with other companies I just thought that Motown was his only gig. You`d think that there would be the odd picture around.

Thank you mysterysinger. I`m sure that I can use that image. I really appreciate the trouble you`ve gone to.

I second that motion for thanking mysterysinger. If you click through the various pictures you will see other less famous Motown recording artists, i. e. Linda Griner. Check them out. Thanks for posting this, you are really knowledgeable.

Hi Roger
    Thanks for the mysterysinger. No problems at all if you want any or all of the "Drew records just let me know. Be also a great thing if we ever come up with Mike Valvano I have spent many years to find any photos.

Interesting that Ralph Terrana worked with Mike Valvano in the early 1970's, maybe something one day.

Great shot of Mike. Thank you for posting. Although I spent, along with my brother Russ, A billion hours in the studio together. I have no pictures of that time. Our production name was Terrana, Valvano, Terrana.
    Because we were Italians, Harry Balk wanted us to use the production name ¨The Brotherhood¨. We laughed about it but remained ¨Terrana Valvano Terrana. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of us together. The picture of Mike is the only one I now have. Many thanks Mystery
    Last edited by ralpht; 05-05-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Thank you Ralpht do you have any photo's of yourself & Mike?, for over 30 years I have always wanted to see Mike, not just me but everyone who loves Motown so much.
    Thanks again.

Graham, Iḿ sorry to say I have no other pics of Mike. Why I Didn´t take photos of us puzzles me. Like you, I am happy to have the picture of Mike Mystery Singer posted.

Ralpht, thanks for being kind, it's just one of those things that happens when you spend so much time working together "In the Billions hours" you must have had a great time.
    Thanks again

Here is another Non Motown 45 for Mike Valvano

I have another photo of Mike Valvano, this time with "The Modifiers" during the Motorcity era. It's from The Motorcity Sound Of Detroit Volume 6 and appears on the inside cover. In order to better present the photo I've isolated it from the others and here it is:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...in/dateposted/

Someone may know who these Modifiers are, but the originals were Mike Ondercin [[guitar), Ronnie Greb [[rhythm guitar), Rick Greb [[drums) - from the Motown Encyclopedia.

Another photo of them appears on the front cover of the CD "Motorcity Blue Eyed Soul" and can be seen here - https://www.discogs.com/release/2835...U6NTA4MTExNA==

What is interesting, Graham, is when I listen to our productions, I can hear Mike all over it.
    Mike would call me from time to time When I was in California and he was in New Mexico. About three days after our last phone conversation, Harry Balk called me to tell me Mike had passed. I was shocked. I think it was a bad stroke.It took a while to process the shocking news and instant grief to set in. Today I cherish the memories and I have the music we wrote and produced and once again I am in the studio with Mike.
    Last edited by ralpht; 05-05-2024 at 07:21 PM.

Once again, Thank you Mysterey.

Ralph - Mike seems to be everywhere and yet nowhere since there are not many photos of him or that much information either. According to the Motown Encyclopedia, Mike died following a stroke on 10 April 2002. Such a sad loss.

Our very first session for Stoney and Meatloaf using the Funk Brothers, Mike brought with him, into the studio, a bag of painting supplies he needed for the house he had just bought. One of the Funks asked what he had in the bag. ¨White paint¨, he replied. ¨ And if you don´t give us a good session, I´m going to paint your asses white. That got a laugh and they gave us a very good session.

Thank you so much mysterysinger and Graham and Ralph for your recollections.I have 11 songs so far and I think that there is "The One And Only Love' to come -I hope if it was finished.

Thank you all!
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-06-2024 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thank you so much mysterysinger and Graham and Ralph for your recollections.I have 11 songs so far and I think that there is "The One And Only Love' to come -I hope if it was finished.
    Share your list Roger and yes That One And Only Love is most certainly finished and there are several more tracks lurking in those vaults according to paperwork

According to the website Allmusic "Clarence Paul [[Five Royales) was assigned to produce Valvano; he cut two solo albums that never left the shelf."

Also of interest may be the Charly album "Motor City Magic Volume 2" which has a track by The Motor City Runners which seems to be an instrumental Hornets band track version of "Watch Your Step [[Now)" the Mike Varo song.

I've not yet located the instrumental on YouTube but here's the album - https://www.discogs.com/release/6140...ty-Magic-Vol-2

But here's the Mike Varo version -

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Share your list Roger and yes That One And Only Love is most certainly finished and there are several more tracks lurking in those vaults according to paperwork
    What wonderful news Paul and let`s hope that these tracks get freed before too long.
    The unremarkable list is:
    "I`ve Found Myself A Brand New Baby"
    "It`s Too Bad"
    "Devil Love"
    "Only You"
    "Sally Jane"
    "[[I Heard) Rumours"
    "Julie [[Guess I`ll Never Understand"
    "The Lying Kind Of Girl"
    "Watch Your Step"
    "Give Me A Kiss"
    "She`s My Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    According to the website Allmusic "Clarence Paul [[Five Royales) was assigned to produce Valvano; he cut two solo albums that never left the shelf."
    More good news! Many thanks mysterysinger for your contributions they are really appreciated.

Note of some interest; Clarence Paul would produce The Sunlners a few years later.

That's a wonderful shot of Mike!

Mike told me that Mike & the Modifiers was the second artist Berry Gordy signed after the Miracles. In 1965 when I started working in the disk room, Mike was working the night shift cutting from demo tapes that had been recorded in New York and LA for expanding Motown's reach to other artists and genres.

Here's a 60s promo photo of Mike & The Modifiers - a friend of mine owns the photo, so my glare-ridden cell phone photo is the best I'm able to do right now.

Name:  mikeandthemodifiers.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  15.8 KB

WOW, Thank you so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    Here's a 60s promo photo of Mike & The Modifiers - a friend of mine owns the photo, so my glare-ridden cell phone photo is the best I'm able to do right now.

Name:  mikeandthemodifiers.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  15.8 KB
    Amazing photo - what a scoop.

Here's yet another photo of Mike & The Modifiers - this time lying down on the job. It's from the CD "Mixed Groups Of The Motorcity". https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...n/photostream/

Wow! well done nsoule a great photograph - all the Modifiers! Thank you very much! Many thanks to to mysterysinger too.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  21.1 KB
    As far as I know, Clarence Paul [[Pauling) was never a member of The Five Royales, whose brother, Lowman Pauling, was their main lead singer. Clarence, several years younger, was, however, a member of The Royal Sons Quintet [[Gospel precursor group, before they turned to secular music and changed their name). A 3rd Pauling brother and their father were also in the Gospel group.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  21.1 KB
    As far as I know, Clarence Paul [[Pauling) was never a member of The Five Royales, whose brother, Lowman Pauling, was their main lead singer. Clarence, several years younger, was, however, a member of The Royal Sons Quintet [[Gospel precursor group, before they turned to secular music and changed their name). A 3rd Pauling brother and their father were also in the Gospel group.
    Robb I would always take your recollections as more authoritative than Allmusic for sure.
    Personally I wouldn't have a clue but the internet seems unanimous in saying that Clarence Pauling was a member so perhaps they're all getting their info from the same source - for example Soulwalking has the following:

"The 5 Royales comprised of:

Clarence Pauling [[b.19th March, 1928, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, U.S.A. d. 6th May, 1995, Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.)

Curtis Pauling

and

Lowman Pauling [[d. 26th December 1973, Brooklyn, New York, U.S.A.) - all brothers

Otto Jeffries

Johnny L. Tanner Snr. [[b. 28th November 1926, Forsyth County, N.C., U.S.A. d. 8th November 2005, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, U.S. [[Bone cancer)

Obadiah Carter [[d. July 1994, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, U.S.A.)

James Moore [[b. 7th March 1926, U.S.A. d. 16th August 2008, Cedar Manor Nursing Home, Ossining, New York, U.S.A.)

and

William Samuels"

And here's another example from the North Carolina Music Educators Association

https://www.ncmea.net/the_5_royales/

I'm ashamed to say that I can't remember having heard any of their music - so perhaps I'd better have a listen.

Great CD from Ace Ed Pauling & Royal Abbit Inc Federal Solo Sides.

Name:  DSC_0332.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  87.1 KB