[REMOVE ADS]

Unusual places you heard The Supremes

Ok I’m sitting in a Denny’s in Orlando having pancakes and Bad Weather just came on! Lol. Heard Ain’t No Mountain earlier. Mountain wasn’t a shock but BW sure was!! Lol

Where else have you heard the girls that surprised you?

Stoned Love was part of a playlist on a foreign airline I took early last month. That was very surprising.

It wasn't the Supremes, but when I worked at Eddie Bauer, Diana's CROSS MY HEART sometimes played over the PA system. I was rather surprised because the record was not a hit and this was in 1989, two years after the record's release.

I later found out that Eddie Bauer's used to send tapes to the various stores to be played during the day. The tapes were labeled by genre, Easy Listening, Soul, Country, etc. and looked similar to an eight-track but larger. They played in a special machine that I had never seen before. As I recall, there was no log on the tapes.

yeah this was some sort of "happy easy going classic pop/soul" Come Get My Love came on after

And as for Mountain, it was the shortened version of the alt/Doral cigarettes version. it's mostly identical to the known, released version but her ad libs are different at the beginning of the chorus. Again, odd that they picked THAT version.

At work, our "muzak" often plays "Up the Ladder to the Roof".

One of the "oldies" stations in the Twin Cities used to play "Last Time I Saw Him" pretty regularly.

Several years back, I was at the Golden Nugget in Laughlin, NV and I heard the alternate version of "Someday We'll Be Together"; the one that starts with the church organs.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    At work, our "muzak" often plays "Up the Ladder to the Roof".

One of the "oldies" stations in the Twin Cities used to play "Last Time I Saw Him" pretty regularly.

Several years back, I was at the Golden Nugget in Laughlin, NV and I heard the alternate version of "Someday We'll Be Together"; the one that starts with the church organs.
    i wonder if some secret society of Supremes lovers pulls together these compilations for office buildings, malls and the rest lol. they keep dropping in all these easter egg tunes lol

I heard bad weather played at Louis Vuitton at Copley mall. My cafe Nero played Nathan Jones

I was in a bar/restaurant with some friends with music that was pretty much the normal hits of the 70s-80s. Much to my surprise The Supremes Bill When Are You Coming Back came on. It sounded great. Changed my mind on whether is should have been a single.
    Last edited by thommg; 05-15-2024 at 10:31 AM.

Not really an unusual place, but unusual selection: I heard "No Matter What Sign You Are" in a Walgreens a couple of years ago. I was just singing along and feeling my flavor. An older woman chuckled with me.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It wasn't the Supremes, but when I worked at Eddie Bauer, Diana's CROSS MY HEART sometimes played over the PA system. I was rather surprised because the record was not a hit and this was in 1989, two years after the record's release.

I later found out that Eddie Bauer's used to send tapes to the various stores to be played during the day. The tapes were labeled by genre, Easy Listening, Soul, Country, etc. and looked similar to an eight-track but larger. They played in a special machine that I had never seen before. As I recall, there was no log on the tapes.
    I've shared on these boards that I heard "Cross My Heart" piped in to a PathMark around the same time, reese! Knocked me out!

On a cruise ship I was surprised to hear He’s My Sunny Boy included in their classic hits playlist. I was happily singing along until I realized, “That’s not a hit! It’s a b-side!”

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I've shared on these boards that I heard "Cross My Heart" piped in to a PathMark around the same time, reese! Knocked me out!
    I remember sans. The song was extremely radio friendly, having real single potential imo.
    I once heard “Upside Down” being played while i was taking a bath, but not sure if that counts as unusual places.

I wonder if anyone has ever heard "He Holds His Own" in a gentlemans' toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I wonder if anyone has ever heard "He Holds His Own" in a gentlemans' toilet?
    Better than "Shake"

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Better than "Shake"
    "Let Yourself Go"?

"Let Yourself Go"?
    "Going Down for the Third Time"?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "Going Down for the Third Time"?
    "Come Together"?

I once heard "I'm Livin In Shame" at a homemade jam competition.

It made everyone very uncomfortable.

When I was in the 7th grade, during an announcement for a sock hop we were having, they played "Come See About Me" over the intercom.

A local bar was having this game show type event going on and they picked these three heavy metal type of guys that had to hum Baby Love while another patron guessed what they were humming. These guys knew Baby Love right down to the background parts, I was very very surprised.

Way back in 1976, I was at College signing up for courses. While in line, someone had a boombox and the song it played while I was in line was "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking". I took it as a positive sign for my classes and hearing my favorite group.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I once heard "I'm Livin In Shame" at a homemade jam competition.

It made everyone very uncomfortable.
    LOL…..Good one.

We have a 50's style restaurant called the Austin Diner here in suburban Austin, and they play nothing but mid 50's--mid 60's stuff. I never hear music from that era anywhere but there these days. I've heard When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through his Eyes in the Austin Diner several times, but nothing later than that. The other two songs I hear there that I never hear anywhere else are He's a Rebel by Darlene Love, and I Sold My Heart to the Junkman.Oh and back in the late 70's, I heard Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good exactly once on AM radio

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

Thank you for saying this...I thought I was insanely mistaken for years! In the early 90's I was floating in a tube on a flat "Lazy River" ride early one day in Wildwood NJ...It was very early, and the only water attraction opened...I heard a familiar voice...I had never heard Lynda Lawrence sing lead before getting John Kydds 12" single of Up The Ladder...I heard a voice that was unmistakably Lynda....when I passed the little control booth...I looked in it to see if I could speak to someone when my time was up about the song...no one was on the booth...but there was this huge in wall Audio system obviously on, b/c lights on equalizers were flashing in time to the music I was hearing...with a large [[kind of long, less high than a VHS tape) silver cartridge sticking out of some sort of player...I never got to ask anyone anything...but about 2 years later I got a CD and recognized the song I was hearing as HIT and MISS...one of the FLO's Motorcity recordings.

Another shock for me was I was on line in a Walgreens drug store about 5 years ago, and THE COMPOSER came on...I said out loud "I can't believe this!" the early 20's coupe in front of me turned around...I told them this was the Supremes...and I never even heard that song on the radio when it was new....

Not really an unusual place, but unusual selection: I heard "No Matter What Sign You Are" in a Walgreens a couple of years ago. I was just singing along and feeling my flavor. An older woman chuckled with me.
    see my post above!!! I heard THE COMPOSER in Walgreens!!!!!

At this point, I'm thinking if anyone heard "The Composer" on the radio when it was a fresh release, that would be a story about an unusual place.

So, did anyone ever hear "The Composer" on the radio when it was newly released?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    At this point, I'm thinking if anyone heard "The Composer" on the radio when it was a fresh release, that would be a story about an unusual place.

So, did anyone ever hear "The Composer" on the radio when it was newly released?
    Yes. I heard it a few times on an LA Top 40 pop station. I liked it, though I now think it was a big mistake. I believe this was when the DJ remarked that "we keep hearing Diana Ross will leave the Supremes, but they keep releasing new singles".