Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
Diana's disco performances were super hyped. Mary's strength is not super hyped. Her strength was in her coolness. But how cool can you be when your singing partners are flying high all over the place? If the Supremes were doing the type of stuff the Emotions were doing, for example, I think we're talking about better live performances today. Disco lent itself so well to a "Let Yourself Go" mentality, which is fine for some. Mary didn't fit that mode.
oh completely agree. Mary's voice and style just wasn't a great match for fast-paced disco. on a more moderate dance tune like You're What's Missing, she fits much better.

and i would assume that if the whole Sup show was just pulled back a few levels, it would have worked better for all 3 women. as i mentioned - tone down the choreography, streamline some of the vocal parts, etc. there are some really lovely segments of their shows as is. when the 3 women stood and just SANG it could be quite marvelous. when they were focused on their vocals in 3-part on He Ain't Heavy or maybe This Time, it's excellent. and the blend is very strong. but they're all sticking to their parts and not riffing all over the place