[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's coz it was a show presented by 2 old PIRATE RADIO DJ's & was about 1960's UK Pirate Radio stns [[based on ships so as to be 'offshore' & therefore not illegal). It was the pirate stns playing 100% from records that were the 1st to feature 'wall to wall' Motown & US soul tracks for UK listeners.
    . . . . JOHNNIE WALKER ... I'm gonna choose a soul record now ... and as my mum used to say, it's time for a bag of hush, there needs to be a degree of reverence paid to this record. It's one of the most stunning pieces of soul singing performances of all time .... an orchestra was sat around, she was in the next studio & so they decided to record this song ...
    AFTER THAT BIT OF SPIEL BY A BRIT ABOUT A 60's SOUL RECORDING, IT CAN BE BUT ONE SONG .... most Yanks won't guess what track he then played [[it weren't a Motown one by the way) ... even though it was a big US R&B chart hit & even a Hot 100 pop hit. In the UK it never even got near any chart but it was still put out on 45 here about 5 or 6 different times.
    US radio DJ's loved it as much as UK radio DJ's ... one was quoted as saying ... "This is a new concept and a new dimension in SOUL. It is an entirely new direction. I congratulate the producer and writer. I didn't think he could top his earlier creativity but this is the ultimate!"
    Last edited by jsmith; 03-29-2024 at 03:55 PM.