[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reflections

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I would agree that most of the Cindy-era studio albums don't live up to those during the Flo years. But I don't think any of them are truly bad. As you said, maybe some change in sequencing and the addition of other unreleased tunes could have made a difference. I can't believe songs like SWEET THING, STORMY, STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS, WISH I KNEW, THOSE PRECIOUS MEMORIES, and others stayed in the Motown vault for so long.

That said, I do think Motown got it right with the LOVE CHILD album. I don't think I would change a thing about that one.
    oh of course you can change things! lol that's half the fun

it would very interesting to hear what some of the original proposed lineups for the LC album were to be. we've heard that at first motown wanted serious, socially conscience songs and mature themes. the challenge with that is the material we've received so far that falls into this definition would have made a very heavy album. and you need some variety. even on marvin's What's Going On there are very different approaches to tunes and different sounds/styles.

as is, i think the album would have benefitted from rearranging the tracks. it's a rather odd shift after track 4 to go from those darker tunes to more sunny pop stuff.

I think Honey Bee and Sunny Boy are a bit too lightweight. maybe this for an album:

Love child
    keep an eye
    The Nitty Gritty
    If you should walk away
    chains of love
    some things you never get used to

how long has that evening train
    I'm so glad i got someone like you around
    does your mama know about me
    you've been so wonderful to me
    can't shake it loose
    i'll set you free

Originally Posted by reese
    I would agree that most of the Cindy-era studio albums don't live up to those during the Flo years. But I don't think any of them are truly bad. As you said, maybe some change in sequencing and the addition of other unreleased tunes could have made a difference. I can't believe songs like SWEET THING, STORMY, STAY IN MY LONELY ARMS, WISH I KNEW, THOSE PRECIOUS MEMORIES, and others stayed in the Motown vault for so long.

That said, I do think Motown got it right with the LOVE CHILD album. I don't think I would change a thing about that

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh of course you can change things! lol that's half the fun

it would very interesting to hear what some of the original proposed lineups for the
    I also think Love Child is the best DRATS studio album [and the others are not truly bad albums]. I loved the album on first listen, seemingly one of those albums with not a bad song or track.
    Decades later, on my personal playlist, I would leave off He's My Sunny Boy and You've Been So Wonderful to Me, which would be better on LITSI. I would replace them with Bah Bah Bah and Hey Western Union Man.

Love Child
    Evening Train
    Keep an Eye
    Does Your Mama Know
    Hey Western Union Man
    I'll Set You Free

Somethings You Never Get Used To
    Bah Bah Bah
    You Aint Livin' Til You're Lovin'
    Don't Break These Chains of Love
    Honey Bee
    Can't Shake It Loose

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Originally Posted by reese

That said, I do think Motown got it right with the LOVE CHILD album. I don't think I would change a thing about that

I also think Love Child is the best DRATS studio album [and the others are not truly bad albums]. I loved the album on first listen, seemingly one of those albums with not a bad song or track.
    Decades later, on my personal playlist, I would leave off He's My Sunny Boy and You've Been So Wonderful to Me, which would be better on LITSI. I would replace them with Bah Bah Bah and Hey Western Union Man.

Love Child
    Evening Train
    Keep an Eye
    Does Your Mama Know
    Hey Western Union Man
    I'll Set You Free

Somethings You Never Get Used To
    Bah Bah Bah
    You Aint Livin' Til You're Lovin'
    Don't Break These Chains of Love
    Honey Bee
    Can't Shake It Loose
    what would you do for the Reflections lp instead of Bah?

For me the Love Child album remains perfect as is. I think “Bah Bah Bah” a dreadful idea, being as it works so perfectly on the Reflections album.
    It’s always interesting to read what others think constitutes the perfect album, even if we all rarely agree..

what would you do for the Reflections lp instead of Bah?
    Hi sup, actually my album playlists are for my own listening pleasure, and I include Reflections on Greatest Hits 1 & 2 and title that collection Reflections [as Motown may have originally intended].
    So, I don't really have a "Reflections lp" playlist, but rather one titled In and Out of Love, with much of what you have termed sunshine or California pop. It's basically the Reflections lp, minus Reflections, Ode to Billy Joe and Up Up & Away [both of which I'm just not fond of] and Bah Bah Bah [which I love, but I think its darker tone fits in better with Love Child].
    In and Out of Love:
    I'm Gonna Make It
    I Can't Make It Alone
    Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things
    In and Out of Love
    What Becomes of the Brokenhearted

Forever Came Today
    Then
    Misery Makes Its Home
    What the World Need Now
    Let The Music Play

Most of my album playlists have 10 tracks instead of 12 because I personally find that 12 track albums, including Motown lps, include too many fillers for my taste. I find 10 good tracks more compact, cohesive and satisfying.

Lol, welcome to my fantasy world.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Hi sup, actually my album playlists are for my own listening pleasure, and I include Reflections on Greatest Hits 1 & 2 and title that collection Reflections [as Motown may have originally intended].
    So, I don't really have a "Reflections lp" playlist, but rather one titled In and Out of Love, with much of what you have termed sunshine or California pop. It's basically the Reflections lp, minus Reflections, Ode to Billy Joe and Up Up & Away [both of which I'm just not fond of] and Bah Bah Bah [which I love, but I think its darker tone fits in better with Love Child].
    In and Out of Love:
    I'm Gonna Make It
    I Can't Make It Alone
    Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things
    In and Out of Love
    What Becomes of the Brokenhearted

Forever Came Today
    Then
    Misery Makes Its Home
    What the World Need Now
    Let The Music Play

Most of my album playlists have 10 tracks instead of 12 because I personally find that 12 track albums, including Motown lps, include too many fillers for my taste. I find 10 good tracks more compact, cohesive and satisfying.

Lol, welcome to my fantasy world.
    this is great!! it's so interesting to hear how other fans would reorder things. i even went all the way back to A Go Go and started with it. revamped it and then had to do Sing HDH, and then Reflections, etc. all the way through Cream of the Crop. but then i get some additional ideas or a fan shares an interesting concept, and then i have to do Album Alt Version 2 or 3 or 4 lol

this is great!! it's so interesting to hear how other fans would reorder things. i even went all the way back to A Go Go and started with it. revamped it and then had to do Sing HDH, and then Reflections, etc. all the way through Cream of the Crop. but then i get some additional ideas or a fan shares an interesting concept, and then i have to do Album Alt Version 2 or 3 or 4 lol
    Yeah, I have my own mixes of A' Go-Go, Sing HDH, Reflections, Love Child, and Someday We'll Be Together, which is a combination of tracks from the final two albums and some from the vaults.