[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    [QUOTE=theboyfromxtown;434244]
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    ONE [probably not all from acetates]

25. Velvelettes - Searchin for My Man

This has nothing to do with Cal Bertha Norma Milly or Betty. I think the 45 states Dot & the Velvelettes
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  21.1 KB
    Correct! A completely different group from St. Louis, spelled: "Velveletts". Dot was Dottie MacCullum, a St. Louisan. The label, Teek Records, was owned by St. Louis nightclub owner, and first African-American mayor of St. Louis, Frank Bosley. Some record collectors thought Teek was a Detroit label, because Detroiters, Jimmy "Soul" Clark, and Ty Hunter [[a sometimes Motowner), worked for that label. Clark had 2 45s on Teek, and Hunter wrote all his songs, as well as The Velveletts' songs. The musicians on The Velveletts' recordings, and all other Teek recordings were Eugene Neal and The Rocking Kings, who were Teek Records' and Bosley's nightclub's house band. That record is in the package with these [[at the time) unreleased Motown recordings, because British Northern Soul collector/DJ/record dealer, Rod Shard, while visiting me in 1980, made a tape for himself of many of the unreleased Motown recordings I had recorded in the late 1970s, for consideration for placing those songs on the proposed "From The Vaults" LP series. But, Rod also taped records from my collection, which he thought might become Northern Soul hits, or were Motown-related, which he had never heard up to that time. That's how most of these songs first got to Britain in 1980. Manship got them from someone else [[after they had been circulating among several Northern Soul DJs and collectors. Some additional cuts were added later from other sources, after batches of the very acetates and demo records Tom DePierro and I taped, were "lifted" from Motown's offices, and auctioned off. between 1987-1992. Here's a scan of The Velveletts' record:
    Name:  Dot&Velveletts.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  54.0 KB
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-11-2020 at 08:54 PM.